Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank You for Being a Friend


I love "The Golden Girls." I got hooked on it in college when it aired on Lifetime from 7-8am, 10-11am, 4-5pm, and 9-10pm. Whatever I was working on, if "The Golden Girls" were on TV, I had it on, even if it was only in the background. These ladies entertained me when I was sick, made me laugh constantly, and helped me time my morning routine (I knew that when one show ended it was 7:30 and I had 15 minutes before I had to leave). When I traveled for business, I would watch them in my hotel room and they kept my company - they were a little piece of home. They became like friends to me.

I own all seven seasons of the show on DVD and I always have one of them in our DVD player. A laughs at me because in order to watch a movie we have to take out the Golden Girls DVD. The show doesn't air on Lifetime as much as it once did (although it's still on from 7-8am, 2-3pm, and 11pm-midnight) so I have my DVDs to entertain me should the need arise. The story of these unique women and their friendship touches me. I hope I have girlfriends like this well into my golden years.

Estelle Getty, the actress who played Sophia Patrillo on the show passed away today. I am saddened by this although I know that she was suffering from advanced dementia. It is a sad day for Golden Girls fans. It only felt right that today especially, I should tune into Lifetime and enjoy an hour of the show that I love in memory of Estelle .

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I enjoyed the show, too. My mom and grandma and I would watch it together. I'm sad that she's gone, but dementia is such a horror. I'm glad for her.