Tuesday, March 25, 2008

American Idol - Top 10

I think I echo the sentiments of most of Idol's viewers when I say, thank goodness we're past The Beatles. This week the contestants are singing songs from the year they were born. I like that they have a lot to choose from - hopefully it will make for some good entertainment tonight!

Here we go...

Ramiele Malubay - The second they announced that she was singing Heart's "Alone" I cringed. Carrie Underwood sang this several seasons back and was awesome, so I was scared for Ramiele. I thought she was very pitchy, WAY oversang the song, and I wasn't impressed. I'm sorry that she's lost her voice or is sick, but I still think the song was too big for her. I'm sort of wondering why she's still on the show as I haven't been wowed by her yet.

Jason Castro - Was glad he used the guitar again, although I do think he needs to showcase himself without it as well so I understand why he didn't use it last week. Kind of agreed with Simon about him needing to take things more seriously. It may just be his laid back attitude that he's getting a bad rap for.

Syesha Mercado - Not real familiar with the song, but I think she did a great job. Her powerful part in the middle was what Ramiele's song should have been - big but controlled.

Chikezie - Unfortunately I didn't think this was his best. It was kind of boring although I don't really know the song.

Brooke White - Yeah, I love this song!! Agree with the judges that the first part of the song was the better part; the band was kind of distracting and I really enjoy when it's just her and the piano. I do think she's safe and definitely deserves to stay in the competition. Here's the thing about Brooke - I think she's really good and I know everyone says that they love her and I agree that she seems like a really nice and sweet person, but I am sad that she is a Mormon. Unfortunately, that kind of taints the whole thing for me.

Michael Johns - LOVED IT!!! He finally wowed me like I've been wanting him to do for the past few weeks. Right now - my favorite performance of the night! I would buy this guy's CD.

Carly Smithson - Ahhhh, Total Eclipse of the Heart - another 80s favorite of mine. I enjoyed the performance overall. I felt really bad for her listening to Randy and Simon's critiques at the end though. You could tell she'd put in her all and here they were slamming it. I guess that's the way it goes though...in my opinion she should stay.

David Archuleta - I think I went to high school with a guy with the same name. Anywho...definitely didn't dig the belt and don't know the song. I'll admit that he's a good singer, but the same sentiments I have for Brooke apply here. Good singer and performer, but not my American Idol. (I totally agree with Simon on the theme park thing, although I wouldn't have come up with that analogy myself).

Kristy Lee Cook - Brilliant song choice!! Even if she messed the whole thing up, you know people are going to love it because the song is awesome! I do think there was one section that was pitchy, but overall I loved it! She's staying!

David Cook - Very interesting version. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but it kind of grew on me as he sang. Very powerful voice on this one, but not really my style. He's safe and moving through to the next round.

Should go - Toss up between Ramiele and Chikezie

Will go - Chikezie

Best of the night - Michael Johns

And that wraps us up for tonight...MUCH better than last week ya'll!

No comments: