Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Cut Flower Preservative


ETA: I'm not sure that this recipe is the best for your flowers. When I used it my flower's stems got really weak and the flowers seemed to die awfully quickly. I wasn't sure if maybe I got a bad batch from the florist, but I'm thinking that it might have been the preservative. I'm not going to use this recipe in the future - so sorry!

This time of year I love to cut fresh flowers from my garden to bring into the house. I see them more often and get to enjoy their fragrance all day long. But I feel guilty when I bring them inside and then they die shortly thereafter. It's like I killed them with my selfish desire to enjoy their beauty.

Floral preservative helps significantly, but I don't always have it around. I would feel badly taking one from the floral department of my grocery store every time I'm there, and to be honest I still don't know if that'd be enough to have on hand around home. So I did a little web surfing to come up with a floral preservative recipe that I can make at home with items I already have around the house and here it is!

Cut Flower Preservative
* 2 tablespoons white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon household chlorine bleach
* 1 quart warm water

That's it - isn't that easy? Homemade floral preservative and beautiful, long-lasting flowers work for me!


For more great tips, stop by WFMW at Rocks in my Dryer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great to know! I'm still working on more having more flowers in my garden. I don't have much right now so there is even less for the inside of the house. But soon... hopefully soon!

Thanks for the great tip.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the flowers. I was looking for the recipe to help the flowers my daughter sent me to cheer me up. I've been down since losing my dad in January, then three weeks ago I lost my beloved basset hound. I sound like a country song in the making but it's true. I'm writing to you because it was your message on the side that really spoke to me. Job 8-21. Thanks for the message and the recipe. PEACE. from Joyce in New Mexico.